[NTLUG:Discuss] Can Linux help me limit my kids' time on the computer?

Alexandro Colorado jza at openoffice.org
Mon Dec 25 17:07:22 CST 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 20:11:22 -0600, Greg Edwards <greg at nas-inet.com> wrote:

> Lance Simmons wrote:
>
>> In any case, even if there's not an effective way to automate such
>> restrictions, is there an easy way for me to keep track of total
>> number of hours logged by a particular person?
>
> Use a captured login.  In the passwd file the initial shell is defined,
> usually /bin/bash, but can be any executable.  Change to something else
> that logs the login time, calls /bin/bash, and logs the logout time on
> exit.
>
> Merry Christmas to all

Wow those looks like some complex problems. I have a linksys router which
I think it runs linux. This router is the one that connects to the
computer, on the admin panel it has a section on scheduling the
conectivity time and restrict certain hours and how often this hours will
happen. I think is basically a cron task which tells iptable to block port
80 to the IP of the computer in the network. However this process is
really simplify by goin to this web control panel.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Grupo de Usuarios Linux Tabasco

OpenOffice.org